Aldershot Masonic Centre
Area Vice-Chairman: David Conway-Holland
Freemasons first met in Aldershot in 1857 when Panmure Lodge held a meeting at the Royal Hotel, which stood at the junction of High Street, Wellington Street and Union Street. Freemasons also met at the Wellington and Imperial Hotels, where part of the accommodation became a Masonic Hall, and was dedicated as such by The Provincial Grand Master in April 1880.
Masonic meetings continued to be held there until 1902 when a new Masonic Hall was established in Station Road. The building was opened by the Provincial Grand Master in September 1902 at a special joint meeting of Panmure and Aldershot Camp Lodges. Since then freemasons have met at various locations in Aldershot, including the Assembly Rooms in the Market Arcade; the Scarborough Rooms at 97 High Street, and the “Panmure rooms” which were part of the hutted accommodation for the British Cavalry in Warburg Barracks in Wellington Avenue.
The Panmure Rooms were only ever intended as a temporary meeting place, and in April 1960 a committee was set up consisting of Masons from Palma Virtuti Lodge No. 4187, Panmure Lodge No. 723, Aldershot Camp Lodge No. 1331 and Semper Fidelis Lodge No. 6664 to discuss a permanent home for Aldershot Freemasons. The old “Aldershot Mission Hall and Soldiers’ Home and Institute” in Edward Street, Aldershot was identified as a suitable premises and a 99 year Lease was signed on 1st November 1962. The Masonic Centre in Edward Street Aldershot continues to provide a meeting place to the seven Masonic Lodges and five other Masonic orders that meet there and consider it their home.
- Aldershot Camp Lodge No. 1331
- Anniversary Lodge No. 8385
- Earl of Malmesbury Lodge No. 4919
- Palma Virtuti Lodge No. 4187
- Panmure Lodge No. 723
- Waller Rodwell Wright Lodge No. 2755
- Zetland Lodge No. 515